Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween


Fall is my favorite time of the year, I think I mentioned that in my last post LOL. Halloween has always been my hubbys favorite holiday. In years gone by he used to put up pumpkin lights across the front of the house, there were decorations in all the windows and the tables all held little decorations. There was always a carved pumpkin that yours truly had spent hours carving. I love to carve pumpkins, don't know why but I get a great deal of pleasure out of it.


A few years ago a lady that my hubby worked with lost her husband very suddenly, they had adopted a young girl not long before he died. Any way my hubby told me that the little girl who's name is Angel had never gone trick or treating and never had a pumpkin. Well that is just not right, so we went to the store and bought a really nice big tall pumpkin. I stored it in the garage until a few days before Halloween when I brought it inside and started working on the design. I didn't want anything really scary, so I settled for a nice flying ghost design. I worked on the actual carving the day before Halloween and had it finished by early evening. We called to see if we could meet somewhere since we live on opposite sides of town. When Angel saw her carved pumpkin that childs face lit up and she didn't know what to say. Her Mom had told her she was getting a pumpkin, and Angel had been driving her crazy for days asking when she was going to get the pumpkin. Not only was Angel surprised but so was her mother. What we didn't know was that this was a first carved pumpkin for both Mom and Angel. My husband and I got such joy out of giving that pumpkin to Angel and her Mom. I know they enjoyed it and to this day Angel calls me the pumpkin lady .


Well this Halloween has proved to be very pleasant, and while there are no lights strung across the front of the house and the window are not decorated.......there are two pumpkins outside, one that I carved this morning of a flying witch on a broom and the other is an electric pumpkin that my husband put out. We have had about 50 trick or treaters, most of them little kids with cute costumes and lots of parents wearing costumes. All and all a nice way to spend the evening .....watching young children enjoy going door to door and having neighbors hand out candy. My only regret is I wish I had carved a pumpkin this year for Angel, oh well maybe next year. Until next time...........Happy Halloween!




This year we are both off (now how that happened I have no idea).

1 comment:

** miss shannon ** said...

that is about the nicest Halloween story I ever heard... ty so much for sharing Roxie :D